Over-acidification of the body is the single underlying cause of all disease. When the body is overly acidic, it creates an unwanted environment where illness, bacteria, and yeast thrive.
A body that maintains its alkaline set-point will have less chronic inflammation – the number one causes of pretty much any disease.
When the body is acidic it takes minerals from vital organs and bones to neutralize the acid and remove it from the body. Because of this, the body’s mineral reserves such as calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium can run dangerously low, causing damage that can go undetected for years until it reaches unhealthy levels and leads to acidosis.
This is why we are seeing an up-rise in osteoporosis – your bones are literally being leached off the precious minerals needed to protect them (like calcium, sodium, magnesium, and potassium).
Many people are already consuming enough acid-forming foods, such grains, dairy products, soy, refined sugar, and meats. Coffee, alcohol, highly processed foods, sugar replacements and GMO oils (and GMO food altogether) are also highly acidic.
Since the body is constantly generating acidic waste products from the metabolism, those waste products need to be neutralized or excreted in some way. In order to neutralize the constant acid generation, we need to supply the body with more alkaline foods.
Consider the 20 health problems caused by mild acidosis:
- Excess mucus/phlegm
- Chronic cough
- Chest pain
- Chronic fatigue
- Sinus issues
- Neurological conditions like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and dementia
- Reduced mental clarity
- Cardiovascular damage caused by acidic plaques (increased risk of heart attack and stroke)
- Bladder and kidney infections
- Immune deficiency
- Skin issues like eczema, acne, rashes, and dermatitis of all types
- Stomach issues including bloating, indigestion, acid reflux, and excess gas
- Candida and yeast infections
- Weight gain and/or obesity
- Sciatica and stiff neck
- Cavities and sensitive gums
- Joint pain and aching muscles
Why doesn’t the body just adjust its pH?
The body is an amazing machine, which can automatically balance its own pH level. However, it does so at a price.
For example, when your body becomes overly acidic, the body takes alkaline forming elements from the digestive system enzyme from the small intestine, which creates less than optimal environment for proper digestion.
This is why dietary intake that is highly acidic can result in many disease and disorders. The body steals from one area to balance the pH, which inhibits that systems proper function.
How to improve your alkalinity
Change your diet, and modify your lifestyle a bit – your body literally depends on you to do these things to survive.
Here are some things you can do to lower your acidity:
- Check your pH regularly.
- Drink plenty of water (alkaline water when possible).
- Use lettuce leaves and collard greens as wraps.
- Remove acidic foods.
- Replace a traditional lunch with a large green salad.
- Add green juices or smoothies to your diet
- Try not to consume processed foods.
- Eliminate soda, sugars, and coffee. Replace them with herbal tea, herbal coffee, and green drinks.
- Replace dairy milk with coconut or almond milk.
- Your emotional state also affects the pH of your body. Anger, fear, resentment and jealousy produce acidity of the body fluids. Meditation and yoga are the perfect antidotes for stress.
Make an effort to take care of yourself and your body. You’ll appreciate your efforts, and will begin to feel more energetic and vibrant each and every day.