E-Cigarette explodes in teens mouth, suffers second degree burns


Sponsored Advertisement

WARNING: This story contains disturbing images.

Lethbridge, Alta.- An Alberta teen is facing a long and expensive recovery after being injured when he says an e-cigarette blew up on him.

According to Ty Greer, he and a friend were smoking an e-cigarette when Ty said it exploded in his mouth.

“It was horrible,” said Perry Greer, Ty’s father. “No father should have to witness that.”

Perry said his son suffered first and second-degree burns as a result of the explosion. Pictures of the teen reveal charred, blackened skin and fractured teeth.

“There was a fireball about two feet and it started his gym bag on fire,” Perry explained.

Sponsored Advertisement

According to Perry, Ty’s mother drove him to the hospital and he arrived later to comfort him. He said his son’s pain was so severe that he just held him until the morphine kicked in.


Ty Greer says his e-cigarette exploded on him, causing severe burns.

Ty’s brother Zane said the incident has brought him and his brother closer.

“The whole situation has given me a new perspective on how I feel about my brother,” said Zane. “I was so close to losing him.”

Perry described Ty as a talented hockey player who has never smoked tobacco. He said his son purchased the e-cigarette from a store in north Lethbridge. The owner of the store declined comment to Global News.

“I have talked with the owner of the store,” said Perry. “He’s very remorseful. He cried the whole time I talked to him.”

Ty now faces a series of expensive dental surgeries as he prepares for a long recovery.

SEE ALSO:  Doctors are now warning: If you use aluminum foil, stop it or face deadly consequences