Girl suffering headaches for two years has giant tapeworm cyst removed by doctors (VIDEO)
A 12-year-old girl has had a tapeworm cyst half the size of her brain removed from her head believed to be the largest in medical history.
Nita Juggi, from Gujarat in central India, had been suffering from seizures, headaches and weakness for more than two years and over the last 12 months she was even experiencing paralysis down the right hand side of her body.
Her father Kishor Parbat Jogi, 45, a farmer, had taken his daughter to see many doctors but Nita’s condition failed to improve.
He said: “We took her to many doctors but none of them could understand neurosurgery I guess.
“I think we were seeing the wrong kind of doctors. Her health was just getting worse day by day and we were helpless.”
The enormous cyst weighed 675 grams when measured by doctors (Photo: Cover Asia Press)
Eventually Kishor, who has three other children with his wife Sarla, 40, took his daughter to meet Dr Chirag Solanki, a consultant neuro and spine surgeon, at Sterling Hospital in Gujarat, central India, two months ago.
And after lengthy examinations and an MRI scan they found a cyst on her brain weighing 675 grams and 12.2cm x 11cm x 9.8cm in size.
He said: “I believe the hydatid cyst had been slowly growing in the girl for the past eight to 10 years. But as it got bigger it had more affect on her day to day life and her headaches were getting worse.
The cyst had grown to half the size of the girl’s brain (Photo: Cover Asia Press)
“It had grown to be half the size of her brain. It was very dangerous and there were chances the cyst could have ruptured and killed her at any time. It’s a bubble so it could burst at any moment.”
Nita is now happy that she can play with her friends again. She said: ‘I used to get very sad that I was not well. I didn’t feel good and I was always crying. But I’m fine now. I can even play with my friends so I am very happy.’
Dr Solanki added: “Everyone should treat their pets with anti-tapeworm medication.
“It’s very easy for animals to carry it and transfer it to humans. This is what happens when it’s left and neglected. If you touch stray animals always wash your hands afterwards.”